Friday, July 23, 2021

Cold and COVID

My son got a head cold a few days ago, and dutifully went off and got Covid tested.  Came back negative.  Only lasted a few days. 

I seem to have developed one myself now.   No headache or pains:  just "normal" post nasal drip that I often get as the first sign of a head cold.   Throat's not really sore, just a bit irritated like you get with post nasal drip.

I'm suspecting it's not really worth get Covid tested.    I've managed to avoid the swab so far.  

What do you think?   

By the way:  I am an AstraZeneka resister.   Covid barely exists in Brisbane, with (I think) several days this week of no new cases; so it's not as if we are in the midst of a Delta outbreak.

I appreciate that you have to be very unlucky to get the blood clot problem from the vaccine:

In its latest weekly Vaccine Safety Report, the TGA said there have been 87 cases of clotting from the 6.1 million doses of AstraZeneca administered in Australia.
but that's one in 70,000 or so - and even though only a few of them have died, it seems those who get it still end up in hospital for weeks, and it's a very serious condition.  (I am not even sure whether they ever fully recover - the old guy who turned up on 7.30 a couple of weeks ago was out of  hospital but still on blood thinning drugs.)

When the virus isn't really circulating in my local city, and don't need to travel anywhere for a while, I don't really see it worth the risk of taking a medicine that carries a risk of making me seriously ill itself.

Don't get me wrong - if any other vaccine were available I would be in the line up as soon as possible.  

But in my circumstances (more so than if I were a resident of Sydney or Melbourne) I don't think holding off for now to wait to see if Pfizer will soon be available is unreasonable.

2 comments:

Not Trampis said...

better to be safe than sorry.

I do hate the tests. It is bad enough in the nose but the throat is worse

GMB said...

You must not get the tests. They are designed to smuggle various arch-nasties past the blood-brain barrier.