Tuesday, September 07, 2021

For those waiting for my last Ring review...

[...hi Tim, although I'm not even sure if you care.  :)]

 Anyway, this last weekend I only got through Act 1 of Götterdämmerung and didn't have time to finish.

The story has taken a turn I wasn't quite expecting - with the new love between Siegfried and Brunnhilde (literally, just one night old) the subject of interference by the very oddly named (even by Wagnerian standards) Gibichungs.   

I really liked the orchestral bit when Siegfried sets off on the Rhine -  it's back to the first theme in the first opera, of course, and elaborated at some length.   And, as people said in their commentary on watching the whole cycle, by this stage, you really start to enjoy recognising the prior themes popping up, even briefly, and being mixed up.   

I hope the end of the world in flames lives up to its hype...

4 comments:

Not Trampis said...

are you now Lord of the Ring?

boring opera

Steve said...

No there yet, Homer.

I have a vague memory you're a Tolkien fan? And you know I'm not. As I have been indicating, learning about the Wagnerian precedent has been giving my Tolkien scepticism as major boost.

TimT said...

You are putting me to shame. I guess I should listen to the whole of the Ring Cycle some time.

Steve said...

You're learning German, aren't you? Another reason you could listen to it. Opera North on Youtube. Pretty good sound quality. And subtitles.