Thursday, November 18, 2021

Cheap subscription

Hey, the New York Times just offered me a basic subscription for a year at 50c a week.  Yeah, $2 (Australian dollars, too) a month for a year.   That got me in as a first time subscriber.   (Been paying for the Washington Post for quite a while - I just had to check, but it seems to only be $8.37 a month.  $6 US.)

In Australia, I can get a subscription to the SMH for $3.50 a week; same for the Australian (as if). The Washington Post is substantially cheaper.  Even after the end of my first year on NYT for small change, it says it will go up to $20 a month (AUD).

American newspaper subs are much better value.   

The only other page I miss having free access to is The Japan Times - I always liked it, although the print version was getting extremely thin in my last visit there, quite a few years ago now.   It's USD$15 a month on the cheapest plan, though.   

What other paper would I like full access to?  I thought the Straits Times was a very substantial paper when last in Singapore a couple of years ago - and I see I can get it for .99c a month for three months, thereafter $14.90 (SGD) a month thereafter.  Tempting...

Gee, I see you can get the New Yorker for 12 weeks for $12 (US, of course).  A full year at half price - $50, but full price is $100.  Still, for a weekly publication, that is pretty cheap.

My problem is, though, that I still don't like reading lengthy articles on a phone, and I don't spend much time in front of the computer at home anymore.   I have a very old tablet, which still has a good screen, but the battery is only lasting a few hours, and then takes overnight to re-charge.   Maybe I should just get used to using it with a external charging battery in it all the time.

1 comment:

GMB said...

They should be paying you. Completely worthless propaganda rag. Think of their business model giving you their crap that cheap? They will lose money the whole time. Its Pravda. Pravda today is fine. Good newspaper. But Pravda during Stalin's time. Thats what we are talking about here.