Monday, November 08, 2021

That invisible movie

I watched the 2020 movie The Invisible Man on Netflix on the weekend, and it's very good.

I kept thinking it's a mash up of #MeToo, Marvel-esque "hi tech in the wrong hands", and ghost story (invisible presence in the house).  But it worked for me.  Most of all, it's the suspense that works well - lots of good directorial decisions as to swapping between point of view and other neat ideas.

It also has a terrific plot surprise that I did not see coming at all.   (Ha, I just realised that sounds like a pun on the title, but it wasn't intended as such.)

Now, without ruining my general praise for the movie - I think the ending was bold, and a bit confronting, and perhaps not set up as being as well justified as it could have been.   But I still like that the director (who also wrote the movie) and studio went with it.   It's the sort of ending it's possible to have decent discussion about afterward.

Anyway, I strongly recommend it. 

No comments: