Thursday, January 06, 2022

COVID at home?

We're presently waiting for the outcome of a COVID PCR test for my daughter, which only took a 6 hour line up from 6 am yesterday to get administered.

She's not super sick, but the friend she was out with (and at whose house she stayed at) on New Years is apparently feeling very ill and tested positive.  My daughter's symptoms:  a sore throat and headache mainly, and not too bad for the first couple of days, but somewhat worse this morning.   You can imagine how sensitised that is making me to every throat twinge or nose drip.  Or even itch and whether my neck glands are swollen.   I had forgotten how in the early days, there were lots of symptoms being associated with it.

So, of course, I am the type of person most keen to seen RATs actually available, and I find it hard to understand why no one knows when the stock is to be delivered.  I think the head of Chemist Warehouse on Monday night was predicting plenty of stock by the end of the week, baring transport difficulties.   But I noticed that Coles seems to be having trouble re-stocking even the stuff that is not the subject of panic buying - such as chips and nuts.  So I guess Omicron may well be taking out truck drivers.

Anyway, maybe we will know more by tomorrow.   Everyone else at home seems OK. 

Update: on the topic of COVID more generally, I find far down on the Guardian's website this interesting article:

Could microclots help explain the mystery of long Covid? 


Update 2:   Yes, daughter did get a positive PCR test for COVID, so now it's a case of de-ciphering the lengthy current rules for home quarantine for the rest of us.  Do we have enough food to last the period?  It actually might help encourage the using up of a ridiculous amount of frozen items we keep at home... 

1 comment:

GMB said...

"We're presently waiting for the outcome of a COVID PCR test for my daughter, which only took a 6 hour line up from 6 am yesterday to get administered."

Why did you get her the test in the first place? There is no virus related to this sickness so what are you testing for?