Tuesday, March 01, 2022

No power (continued)

It seems the estimate for the repair time for power to houses in my neighbourhood has stretched out to Friday!   I know this happened to other houses in my area in the 2011 floods (5 to 7 days with no power), but my particular neighbour only lost it for one day.  Hence we were not particularly worried when it first went off yesterday morning.

Now, a friend has lent us a generator.  Noisy, smelly things they are.   But I think the idea is to run them for a couple of hours to get the fridge cold, then turn it off for an hour and don't open the fridge.   We have eskys and plenty of ice too.  And a gas stove (yah).  

Speaking of gas stoves, I know they are getting so much bad PR for their health effects now, but I'll put on my populist "it didn't affect me, so it can't be so bad" hat now and mention that I grew up in a house with town gas and therefore a gas stove top and oven, in a rather small three bedroom house in which I sometimes shared with older brothers who would smoke in bed.  (!)  I have now lived in a house for nearly 20 years with a gas stove top from bottle gas. 

No one in my family (6 siblings, and parents) ever suffered asthma or any lung disease*.  Neither of my kids (now adults) suffered asthma.  Same with allergies to anything (which I mention because of asthma's connection to allergy.) 

Is it because I live in a warm climate, where kitchen windows are nearly always open during cooking?   But my life experience is not consistent with "gas is really bad for health".

Anyway, back to the floods.   This report concentrated mostly on suburbs on my side of town, so I'll put it here.    

 

The estimate of the number of houses affected seems to be about 15,000 to 20,000. 

But the Lismore flood is more remarkable - highest known historical flood exceeded by 2m! I mean, that's really incredible.

 

*  Whoops - I forgot that I had included both parents in that explanation, but my father did die of lung cancer.  However, he was a life long smoker who gave up only a few years before the cancer was diagnosed.   All of my brothers eventually gave up smoking - I think by their 40's at the latest.    

No comments: