Monday, May 30, 2022

Things I learnt on the weekend

1.    Someone had told me in January that the Harris Farm Markets shop in West End was terrific, and my wife and I finally got there on Saturday.   It is great, and I wondered if this was a new company.  But Googling it, I see that it has been down south for a long time, although I don't know whether every store is as big and impressive as the outlet at West End.   I particularly liked the somewhat steam punky contraption you could use to select your sourdough loaf from -  well, actually, it is excessive, but shows a certain dedication to fancy shop fit out you don't often see.   The West End markets down the road are still better for cheap fruit and vegetables, but parking is usually impossible unless you pay $4.

2.    I knew that some ancient Greek dude had used shadows in wells and trigonometry to work out the size of the Earth, but I don't recall knowing before that they had even used it to work out the distance between the Earth and Moon.   Dr Becky explained, as well as showing how you can do it yourself:

3.  Something I didn't learn:  how humans get used to this sort of motion without getting dizzy or sick:

 

I have mixed feelings about a woman making a living this way: doing dangerous and silly things is something the more expendable male of the species is more suited to do, no?

No comments: