Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Cue Arnold "It's not a tumour"

So, how's my Covid going, asked no one.  Coming up to a week since I first thought I was coming down with something.  I'm still feeling like the tail end of a cold now - still a little bit of post nasal drip, but not much, but twinges of sinus pain, and an actually throbbing head if I have to cough (which I don't need to, often.)  I'm still putting down the head throbs to sinus pain, and I have actually had this at other times over perhaps the last year (periods where I have no blocked nose, but mild pains at various points around the face where I assume my sinuses are, but if I cough, forehead throbs badly.)

 I've actually looked up on the web recently, and I see that headache relating to coughing is described as follows:

Cough headaches are fairly uncommon. There are two types: primary cough headaches and secondary cough headaches. Primary cough headaches are usually harmless, are caused only by coughing and get better quickly without treatment. A primary cough headache is diagnosed only when a provider has ruled out possible causes other than coughing.

A secondary cough headache may be triggered by a cough, but it is caused by problems with the brain or structures near the brain and spine. Secondary cough headaches can be more serious and may require treatment with surgery.       

Primary cough headaches

The cause of primary cough headaches is unknown.

Secondary cough headaches

Secondary cough headaches may be caused by:

  • A defect in the shape of the skull.
  • A defect in the part of the brain that controls balance (cerebellum). This can happen when part of the brain is forced through the opening at the base of the skull (foramen magnum), where only the spinal cord should be. Some of these types of defects are called Chiari malformations.
  • A weakness in one of the blood vessels in the brain (cerebral aneurysm).
  • A brain tumor.
  • A spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid leak.

So, this sounds like a condition ripe for hypochondria!  And one where a GP is likely to be uninterested, especially if the pain I am complaining about only lasts - I don't know, 30 to 60 seconds?

Sinuses (which I would say are still my most likely issue) are a real example of one of the body bits which are poorly designed and fixing them becomes guesswork.  Like backs when they go bad.

Anyway, all pretty minor, and I can't say I am feeling any "brain fog" from Covid, which is something I would find annoying.  Am sleeping very well at night, and kind of enjoying that aspect, actually.

 

 

2 comments:

GMB said...

You could cut up an stew a few grapefruit skins and all for the vitamin C and the quinine. This will go well with a source for zinc.

It must be remembered that whatever is causing your sickness it is not, and cannot, any kind of virus. This notion is irrational and in any case now proven wrong. But we don't have anything to replace the theory and treatments that work on and old and wrong paradigm, still work when you are going to another paradigm.

GMB said...

A few grapefruits with the skins still on is what I meant.