Wednesday, November 02, 2022

A very "apropos of nothing" post

The Youtube algorithm recently led to me listening to Don McLean's "American Pie" for the first time in years.  (It was one of the videos where they use one of the AI art apps to illustrate lyric lines.)

Anyway, it occurred to me while listening that it is incredibly well produced.   (The amount of attention given to George Martin's role with the Beatles, as well as some other Youtube "making of" content I've watched, is no doubt why such a thought now occurs to me.  It would not have when I was younger.)

So I decided to look up who produced it, and it was a guy who isn't famous enough to have a Wiki entry - Ed Freeman.

Nevertheless, my hunch that this song likely had a huge amount of input from the producer seems to be correct.  Look here:

Producer Ed Freeman stated that the “American Pie” single is a combination of 24 different takes of McLean’s voice. This happened because the singer wasn’t the easiest person to work with, and as such, multiple takes were taken during the same session on May 26, 1971, with a live and unedited backing band track.

The producer also stated that even though McLean was a very talented singer, he was sometimes criticized for singing with the same vocal inflections, so he decided to be more improvisational. “In my head, I knew what it was supposed to sound like—I don’t now remember how I arrived at that, but when I kept asking him to sing it in a certain way, he wouldn’t do it. He wanted to play with it every time, inserting slides, melismas and other things that, to my mind, didn’t fit. So we ended up recording him 24 times on 16-track tape and took different parts from different takes until I got every word the way I wanted it, without all the play, and I don’t think Don appreciated that very much…In Don’s case, I think he was happy with the finished vocal, but he was not happy with somebody else having that much influence,” said Freeman.  ...

As for the challenges the length of the song brought to the producing team, Ed Freeman remembers that “it was a complete nightmare to fit an eight-and-a-half-minute track onto one seven-inch single.” The track had to be cut in half very carefully and added to both sides of the record. The final running times were 4:11 minutes for Part One and 4:31minutes for Part Two.

Don McLean is now 77, and looking haggard.  Not sure that he is very likeable in person.  But good song that still sounds great when you haven't heard it for years...

 

1 comment:

John said...

American Pie is a song designed for the market. McLean is an exceptional lyricist. From comedy to the profound he has a remarkable spread of songs. Is he a good person? I don't know and don't care.