Monday, November 21, 2022

In other "things I'm watching, but not all that satisfied with" news

I'm three episodes into the Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of  Curiosities series on Netflix.

It's an anthology horror story show, so it's always hard to know if a random episode is going to really hit it out of the ballpark, as the Americans would say.

But so far, my feeling is that the series is big on atmosphere, but at the cost of satisfying payoff.   And rather than any substantial scares, or even horror that really lingers after viewing, the show plays more to me as just "deeply unpleasant" in a very transient sort of way.

Again, I admit that horror is far from my favourite genre, but this series is making me feel it is a bit like what I said about science fiction in (gosh!) 2008:  have all the good themes really been done as well as they ever will be, and it's pretty much an exhausted genre?   

    

No comments: