Monday, January 16, 2023

An unusually satisfying ratatouille

Things that were cheap(ish) at the West End markets on Saturday included eggplants, tomatoes, capsicum and okra.  There were a couple of zucchini at home.  And a tube of this:


which I am finding is a much more handy way of having basil flavour ready to add to cooking, rather than buying a bunch of fresh basil leaves, using a third of then, and the rest rot away before getting to use them again.

All of this (save for the okra) suggested ratatouille, which can be a bit hit or miss in terms of flavour.  But I found this recipe, Southern Ratatouille, and it worked well.  I had no "poblano pepper" of course, so a teaspoon of chilli flakes substituted.  

The garlic (minced through a garlic crusher) goes in last and doesn't get cooked out like it usually does, I think that might account for a significant part of the deeper flavour.

1 comment:

Not Trampis said...

I love ocra particularly those written by Puccini