Friday, January 27, 2023

Yeah, but no, to Nope

I watched the recent science fiction (UFO themed) film Nope last night.  

It didn't give me much reason to revise my opinion of writer/director Jordan Peele.   He makes movies which are very competently made - I mean, they look good and are well acted, and always have some meancing foreboding - but I am never satisfied with the resolution/explanation of what's been going on.

That said, I would say I enjoyed this one more than his first two movies, because I basically like the UFO trope in nearly any form.   But really, this movie reaches a point where it doesn't make psychological sense for the characters to do what they do.    And perhaps I can say that about all of his films - things happen without real logic, as they do in dreams or nightmares.   As for the explanation as to what has been going on - it's a bit of a silly idea, and this might sound an odd complaint if you haven't seem the film, but I could have gone with it more if there was different design work on the mystery thing.  But the way it  carried on at the end, it just wasn't convincing.  

I repeat my earlier complaint:  can he please stop writing his own stories, and at least work with a story collaborator?

   

No comments: