Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Actually, sounds pretty true to the original...

So, the New York Times reports that Alan Alda asked ChatGPT to write a scene from MASH for him and former co-star Mike Farrell to perform.   

I think MASH was only really good for the first few seasons, and sort of blanded out for the rest of its run, with increasingly uninteresting characters gradually replacing the sharp and memorable original cast.   I still mostly watched it, but cared less and less if I missed an episode as time went on.

So, the banter that the AI has made between the characters strikes me as about as bland as many of the exchanges that were written for the show.

You can read it here, at a gift link.   

By the way, I have said little about the hype surrounding ChatGPT and its ilk, because I just don't really see the "threat" they yet represent.  Seems to me a bit like the "self driving cars are just around the corner, and will change everything!" hype of about 4 or 5 years ago:  too much overestimation of the importance of a modest technological improvement.


No comments: