Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Superannuation changes, noted

I don't normally see the Nine Network's breakfast program, but it was on this morning when I got up, and I was interested to see that before a "serious" discussion of the government's modest superannuation change, they handled it in a mocking "this only affects people who can obviously afford it" way by having an outside reporter going around Double Bay and talking to people who were saying silly things like "I will have to sell my third boat to deal with this.  It's my daughter's favourite, she'll be upset."

This indicates that breakfast TV is endorsing the change, and knows that it will go over pretty well with the public.    

I would add - it does irritate me a bit when even places like the ABC interview someone (be it a rich retiree or a superannuation adviser) who talks only about it being a "tax on superannuation", because such shorthand makes it sound as if their superannuation in total is actually being taxed (and not just the income on their superannuation balance).

1 comment:

Not Trampis said...

It isn't much just stopping very wealthy people from taxpayer subsidized estate planning