Monday, May 08, 2023

Coronation notes



Yes, I really find him a pretentious and tedious windbag.    

Random thoughts that occurred to me during the service:
 
*   Musically, seemed just flawless and impressive.  Love a bit of Handel, so that was my favourite bit while Charles disappeared behind the screen to have oil rubbed on him, somewhere.
 
*   Camilla often looked pretty nervous, if you ask me.  Does she smoke?  I only ask because someone on Twitter said that it was good that her long sleeves hid the 27 nicotine patches on her arm needed to get through this.
 
*  My goodness, I keep forgetting how close Anglican liturgy is to Roman Catholic.   What's more, I felt pretty sure that some of the responses were ones that George Pell made his hobby horse for 20 to 30 years to get changed in the English Roman mass.   Seems to me now he could have saved a lot of time just by going to Anglican liturgy?  

*  Of all the obscure stuff, I think touching the various symbolic things, like the golden spurs and the bracelets, and rings (but not putting them on, except for the glove, which seemed a tad odd), the one that struck me with the funniest title was "the Rod of Equity and Mercy".   I mean, it sounded to me like something the modern populace would like to hit a monarch with.    

* I'm not sure anyone has identified the guy (of perhaps Indian or Pakistani descent?) who seemed to never take his hand out of his pocket, no matter who was walking past.  It did look slovenly, to use an old fashioned word.

*  Speaking of old fashioned:  I bet there was an unusually high proportion of handkerchiefs in pockets amongst that crowd, and rightly so.   It is undoubtedly a change for the worse that young people do not appreciate their utility.
 
That's it for now...
 

No comments: