Wednesday, August 02, 2023

As I suspected...

From a NYT column about a guy who went on a short American mega-cruise:

While cruises themselves follow the same formula as always, parachuting hedonistic day-trippers into tourist-friendly ports, the post-Covid clientele has changed. The passenger manifest now skews rightward: A 2022 YouGov poll found that only 12 percent of Democrats said they’d feel “very comfortable” going on a cruise, compared with 35 percent for Republicans. Before Covid, the numbers were fairly even, but evidently the blue-state crowd is having a tougher time putting the Diamond Princess out of mind.

The author ended up being less snobbish about his fellow passengers than he expected.  But the reason could have something to do with this (my bold):

When a Royal Caribbean ship pulled up alongside us at port in the Bahamas, I wondered if the crowd over there included guys who wear socks in the swimming pool or ladies who approach the taco bar at 8 a.m. and ask, “Are those them morning burritos?” Well, feel free to judge us, you Royal Caribbean snobs, but I’ll have you know that our crowd had a pretty great time, and not just because the beverage package included 15 alcoholic drinks per day. If that sounds like a lot of drinks per day, don’t worry; cruise ships have their own onboard jails.
Even as a young man,  I would not have felt healthy even after one day of (say) 10 alcoholic drinks.   (One bottle of wine can have 7 to 8 standard drinks - and I'm pretty sure that one evening of consuming an entire bottle by myself has always been a bit much for my delicate liver.  Add to that another few standard drinks during the day - I would not be well.)

No comments: