Tuesday, August 29, 2023

I get to amuse myself about Kant, again

First. please read the footnote to this blog entry back in 2010.

Then, I offer as further evidence in support of my proposed Kant fan fiction/screenplay:

I don't recall reading that before.

The billiards bit is at least confirmed here:

He was a sober and quiet student, not engaging in the frivolous activities common to university students.[9] Yet Kant was no drudge either. He enjoyed playing billiards, and did so with such skill that he and his companions often won small sums of money to help defray the cost of living. 

And the card playing is mentioned here:

He would stay up late drinking wine and playing cards with his friends. He’d sleep late and eat too much and host big parties.

It wasn’t until he turned 40 that he dropped it all and developed the routine life he later made famous. He said that he developed this routine at 40 because he realized the moral implications of his actions and decided that he would no longer allow himself to waste the precious time or energy his consciousness had left.

I don't want to know that he dropped his time wasting ways at 40, though.  In my screenplay, that's when he hit the higher class gambling dens and pleasure houses of Europe, as a Prussian James Bond, before becoming the uber-prude we all know and love.  ;)

 


No comments: