Sunday, August 20, 2023

In which I dare readers to try and not be impressed with an AI product...

I was killing time yesterday when I looked at Google Play for any new apps to play with on my phone, when I saw one called Perplexity.   It had very high ratings, so I tried it.

What is it?:   

Perplexity AI is an answer engine that uses large language models to provide precise answers to questions.
Sure, I have fiddled with ChatGPT and marvelled at some of its imagined information.  But a search engine with an LLM that provides footnoted links to the sources of its information?   

I'm finding it very, very impressive.  I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be 100% accurate, but it's pretty much blowing my mind as to how quickly it gathers information from several sources, bundles together a summary from all of them, writes it up coherently, and presents a further series of questions that might be useful to go into the topic deeper.

I guess I used to be amazed at the speed of search engines generally when they first came out.   But now the systems work like someone scanning a half dozen websites related to a question asked in a normal human sentence, pulling bits of content from each of them, and writing a coherent summary, all in about 2 or 3 seconds.  

I see now that you can use it (free) on the web too, at https://www.perplexity.ai/  (But it doesn't save a history of your previous questions, like the app does, until you "clear history".)   

Go on, try it....



No comments: