Monday, October 02, 2023

A vegetarian recipe noted

Eggplants are very cheap at the moment, and I don't know why, but I seem to be enjoying them more and more lately, especially as baking them with a light oil coating has solved the "oil sponge" problem that used to be a bit a pain if frying them.

I made this curry last night, in which they are the key ingredient, and it came out very well.  The technique was just to chop up a big eggplant into 2.5 cm cubes, coat in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and bake at about 200 degrees for 30 min.  

The curry is made in the usual way - fry onion, add garlic and ginger, then the curry spices;  add stock, tomatoes, chickpeas and coconut milk and simmer for 20 minutes.  Add the baked eggplant and simmer another 10 minutes.  Garam masala is supposed to go in at the end, but I forgot.  

To stop link rot losing this, here are the ingredients:

  • pound (20 ounces) eggplant about 1 very large or two small (+ 1½ tbsp olive oil, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper for roasting)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic grated
  • 1 teaspoon ginger grated
  • 2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or ground
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • ½ teaspoon ground coriander
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 – 3 cups vegetable broth based on desired consistency
  • 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or 1½ cups of cooked chickpeas
  • 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala

Now, I did increase the curry powder to three teaspoons, and the red pepper flakes to about a teaspoon.  Instead of a whole can of coconut milk I used about 2/3 one of coconut cream.

The eggplant was the only fresh ingredient I used, but it was still great.  I guess I could try using fresh tomatoes next time, and perhaps add red capsicum too would be good.

I will definitely make again.

No comments: