Wednesday, December 13, 2023

So long, the Drum

The ABC has abruptly cancelled The Drum, a show which I would sometimes watch, mainly to marvel at how dull it could be. 

I feel mean for saying it, but of the hosts, I always found that Julia Baird (or should I say, Dr Julia Baird: it would seem she likes the title to be used) has a particularly dull and unappealing screen presence.  I always found something about Ellen Fanning much more likeable.  (She's also reading weekend news in Brisbane now, too.)

But the main problem with the show has been finding decent panel members.   Most were very, very ordinary, and without any particular expertise in the topics being discussed.  

It kind of surprises me that it has stuck around as long as it has...

5 comments:

Not Trampis said...

I would not say most but quite a few.
Ellen Fanning is quite a talent. Cannot say the same thing about Baird.

John said...

I liked Baird and Fanning irritated me.
The panel was mediocre, repetitive, and too much furious agreement. There needed to be more thrust and parry in the discussion.

Not Trampis said...

I don't mind thrust and parry but it needs expertise. sometimes the panels were good and other times they were not. I only watched after taping so I had the luxury id fast forwarding the boring bits.

Steve said...

Funny how 2 of us have a clear preference for Fanning, and one for Baird.

John said...

True that Trampis. I no longer watch the PBS Newshour, it often had experts from differing perspectives being interviewed which was informative and entertaining. Don't wish to sound cynical but perhaps in Aus we don't have that degree of intellectual breadth and depth that The Drum can call upon.