Monday, October 07, 2024

Corny

We went for a drive Saturday, around the Mulgowie/Forest Hill/Lowood/Marburg area. 

 I'm not sure if its the sweet corn capital of Australia, but there was a lot planted in the ground.  (We also bought some fresh cobs from the farmer's market - and I don't know if there is a more delicious vegetable when so fresh, and lightly steamed, with butter and pepper.)

We also found a house at Marburg that sells honey at the road front for a good price, and we were told it comes from her own hives behind the house.  Sweet - literally.

I know that this last winter has been pretty cold, and pretty wet, for South East Queensland, but I didn't realise until driving around that all farm dams would be full.   In fact, Lake Dyer, just outside of Laidley, is really the fullest I have ever seen it, going back several years.   It seems a lot more rain has fallen than I had realised.   (Yes, now that I check, the dams around SE Qld are nearly all at 80 to 90% full - and this is at the end of our normally dryer season.) 

I had also never stopped in Marburg before.  The pub is old (1881) and nothing too fancy inside.  (The bar downstairs is remarkably small - most of the floor space is taken up with a dining room and dining deck.)  But the exterior is in good condition.  I wonder what's upstairs?

Anyway, a nice drive on a nice day.  (The dog came with us too).







Update:  And to round off a long weekend:



Yay!  They Might Be Giants played The Tivoli, and they're still witty and such fun to see.  I'm always surprised at how many people don't know who they are, contrasted with the warm reception they get from audiences with an age range from about 18 to 70.  Seemed to be more females than I expected, too.  

I'm guessing they still have a couple of good albums in them yet...




No comments: