Monday, July 20, 2026

Movie not recommended

I had the misfortune of watching Bugonia on Netflix on Saturday.   It had a few Oscar nominations last year, so I thought it couldn't be all bad.  But it is.

My fundamental issues:

*  it never felt real, or convincing, in any respect.  With the 2 male protagonists, I thought the autistic cousin felt very much like unconvincing acting; and the main lead - there was never any real explanation as to how he learned the great conspiracy secret that motivated him.  I guess one could argue that the "not quite real" acting of Emma Stone was justified by the ending, and in that sense she did a good job, but the ending blows it in another way.

*  It's supposedly a black comedy thriller?  Well, it's certainly black, but I didn't feel any comedy landing at all.   In fact, I would say it's hard to even identify the attempt at comedy, unless you feel the silly ending is one giant troll that made the movie a waste of time.

*  The ending both looks like a troll but also meant to be showing some dark pessimistic message of the nature of humanity.  That combination just doesn't work.   (I have now read that it is a remake of a South Korean film - maybe it did the messaging much better?)

*  As is usual with black comedy, I guess, no one is likeable.  Maybe the autistic cousin could be, if I found his part better written and I didn't feel it was acting?

*  The use of music was just - wanky pretentious?  In fact, I think it's safe to say the whole movie is pretentious.  

*  A ridiculous amount of blood in one scene.   

At least I am happy to see it didn't make much money - $43 million - so it was likely unprofitable.   The audience has taste, sometimes. 

 

No comments: