Monday, July 27, 2026

Streaming views

One of the good things about having adult kids is that, instead of me having to pay for 4 streaming services, I can watch two of them paid for by the offspring who subscribe because of particular things they want to watch.   Hence:

*  I just finished watching the latest episodes of Futurama (Season 13) on Disney, and (as per posts on Reddit), it was a very funny season.   This show has just always been great, really, but some seasons are better than others.  And it's good news, everyone:  there is a Season 14 coming.  

*  The absolutely most surreal adult animated comedy I have seen is Smiling Friends, currently showing on HBO in Australia.   I'm sure that writing under the influence of drugs does not really work, but it is hard to imagine how sober people otherwise came up with some of the jokes and visuals in this very adult show.  Perhaps it reminds me of a grown up's Ren and Stimpy, a little?   Anyway, very bizarre and very often very funny with it.  Thankfully, it's only about 10 to 15 minutes per episode, which is about right for that type of content.   

*  I mentioned recently how I have not found much in the way of Korean Netflix series that keeps me engaged,  but hey, I am enjoying (so far) the new show The East Palace.   Like Kingdom, it's a combination of historical palace intrigue and the supernatural (well, viral zombies, in the case of Kingdom).  Sure, as lots of people have said on Reddit, it's a bit like Stranger Things meets Kingdom, but I think the central conceit of how the hero gains entry to the alternative reality spirit world is pretty cool.   I won't spoil it here - it is established in the first episode, anyway.    

I would say that the show does feel a bit too rushed, at least in the first 3 episodes; and the subtitles actually flash by too quickly in some exchanges.   While it is heavy on the CGI, for a show about fighting malevolent spirits, that's pretty unavoidable, and I think the art design of the dead, and CGI itself, are of  high quality.   It is fantasy horror, which is not a genre I am generally drawn to, but man, it looks absolutely gorgeous in virtually every single shot.  The acting is competent and likeable too, I reckon.

Hopefully, it stays good to the end.        

No comments: