Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Some unfortunate comedy timing

I haven't mentioned Dave Hughes's turn to Right wing populism since it happened.   I never cared much for him as a comedian, although I have to say, he did have an interesting path to his comedy career.  (I watched some of the recent sympathetic podcast interview he did with his close friend Kate Langbroek - herself a longstanding Right wing populist, I reckon - and don't think I had known before that he had been Dux of his senior high school year and had started university for an IT degree, before dropping out.   I thought he was presenting himself in a realistic, relatively intelligent and self -deprecating way, but that only makes his new "career" into shallow political populism even more puzzling.)

I mention it now because I have been seeing ads on the ABC for a forthcoming reality show/comedy series  Class Clowns, and it features Hughes as a cast member.   The show, hosted by just about my least favourite female Australian comedian, Julia Morris, looks pretty dire.   (I am not a fan of that style of show - I don't watch any of them.)   

Anyway, my point is that I would guess that 98% of the ABC TV's  viewership is likely to be aghast at Hughe's foray into Right wing populism, and it is very likely, I would thing, to sink this show in ratings.

Given the timelines that TV production follows, I wouldn't be surprised if this whole show had been finished before Hughes found his new shtick.  Hence the title of this post.

2 comments:

Not Trampis said...

I have never found him funny

John said...

There is an Aus comedian that does a funny satire of him. BTW for a man of 55 years he looks more like 70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_NceyF41fw