Wednesday, July 04, 2018

A tourism opening

Probably part of China's revenge on Trump's stupid trade war?:

  • China has warned citizens travelling to the US of “frequent” shootings, expensive medical care, and the risks associated with running into border patrol agents.
  • The Chinese Embassy in Washington issued a notice warning travellers that “shootings, robberies, and theft are frequent,” and urged citizens to remain calm and hold onto evidence if they feel they are being discriminated against by border agents.
  • Last year the US saw a drop in foreign tourism, which at the time was dubbed the “Trump Slump.” 
Well, surely there's an opening for the Australian tourism push in China then:  a ad featuring our low "homicide by gun" rate, perhaps, and the inside of some our nicer public hospitals. 

Pity that the (mainland) Chinese tourist does not have the best reputation for manners, though.   (They are not that popular in Japan in particular, I believe, where the issue of manners really rubs the Politest Nation on Earth the wrong way.)

And speaking of manners, I recently went to a Japanese jazz/bosso nova singer's concert that featured a Chinese heavy audience.   (At the concert hall in QPAC - so a formal, seated venue.)    The young Chinese guy next to us kept pulling out his phone and doing something on it.  (He wasn't taking photos or video, which was banned, but the continual fumbling for his phone and the dull glow of his screen was really distracting.    At interval, I asked the attendants if we could possibly move, and they indicated better seats we could go to.   The show starts up again, and I discover that the (caucasian) woman and her boyfriend/partner (they seemed to be late 20's, early 30's)  next to me were talking to each other more or less continuously during the songs!    I let it go for one or two songs, hoping they would shut up, then when they started up again I leaned over and said tersely "excuse me, you're not in your living room".   They both apologised, with her saying (in a perfectly normal voice) "I'm sorry, it's because I'm deaf."   ??   So, they stay relatively quiet during the next song, then the guy leans over and starts interrogating me as to how I came to be sitting in the seats.   Turns out  it was a corporate row, or something, and he had decided after initially apologising that he didn't like me telling him to shut up because (I guess) he considered it was his company's seat and how dare an interloper point out his rudeness.   They then resumed talking during songs.

So, there you go.  The mainland Chinese do not have the market cornered for public inconsideration.


No comments: