Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Hello Moto

I see there's a new Motorola phone out - Moto G6 - and it has a great review at CNET.

Readers who care, who really really care, about keeping track of my life, will remember that I bought a Moto G5 Plus last year, and I consider it extraordinarily good.   (It counts as a "budget" phone, and as such I don't expect its camera to be as good as a high end Samsung or IPhone that may cost 3 times as much;  but as a phone and internet device it is great.   My wife also has one, and the only problem it has ever had - a sudden apparent battery drain problem - turned out to be the fault of the Hotmail app, and disappeared when that was deleted and she went back to using Gmail.   I use the Yahoo app for mail, and I never have had a problem.)  

Anyhow, here's the favourable words for the new phone:
How do you follow up last year's wonderful budget-friendly Moto G5 Plus? Well, you could start with the outside. Add a second rear camera for portrait mode photos. Trade that Micro-USB port for a USB-C. Get rid of the 16:9 screen ratio and go tall with a trendy 18:9 display that shows more vertically. Say bye to the metallic back side and hello to a glass back with curved edges, specifically Gorilla Glass 3.
The overall result would be a phone that looks decidedly 2018, but with pretty much everything we loved about last year's Moto G5 Plus. And that's exactly what the Moto G6 is.
Last year's Moto G5 Plus hit a sweet spot between features, design, performance and price. The Moto G6 hits most of those, but just misses with a shorter battery life than last year's Motos.
Honestly, Motorola has cornered the market for value for money in mobile phones, I reckon.

But - it is weird how the same model in different countries will have different features.  (You have to be particularly careful with NFC it seems.  I actually have NFC on my Moto G5 Plus, but I have been a bit too lazy to start using it for credit card payments.  Must get around to that one day soon...)

No comments: