Wednesday, September 11, 2019

US military not doing so well...

There is an article at the New York Times about suicide in the US Air Force in general, and talking about one case the writer knew about in detail.  I was surprised by this:
Today, I accept that I can’t change the actions that led up to Neil’s suicide, but I can control actions I take in the future. The Air Force is facing an alarming increase in suicides, with 2019 seeing a rise of about 50 percent compared to last year, and I want to do whatever I can to help do something about it. For instance, I recorded a podcast for the Air Force about losing Neil, as part of a push to teach people that it is normal and healthy to talk about stressors and to seek help. I’ve also had an active hand in the messaging for the recent Resilience Tactical Pause, the Air Force initiative that requires all airmen to stand down for a day to focus on mental well-being, resiliency and suicide prevention.
I wonder why the Air Force, in particular, would be having such an increase?  I thought - maybe the base rate is actually low, and this is just a reversion to more "normal" rate?   But no - it seems that the USAF is expecting perhaps 150 suicides this year, and has about 320,000 active members.   The general rate of suicide in the US is about 13 per 100,000

So yeah, the USAF really is running at a high suicide rate.  Odd.

1 comment:

GMB said...

Well its like what Eddie Griffin said. Its hard to escape your conscience, because everywhere you go, there you are. These guys know that they are not killing terrorists. ISIS was our guys We never bombed any ISIS. So whose picking the targets? The American allied side was just there to murder people and supply the mercenaries, along with the various uniforms and fake front groups. Just there to fight an unprovoked war against the Syrian people. Like what is going on in Yemen now. Slaughter posing as war.