Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Nigella's eggs

I am watching the annoying "my life is perfect, everyone loves me, it never rains in London and I can eat 5,000 cal a day and not put on weight" Nigella Lawson's latest cooking show, and am finding myself continously bothered not just by her too cheerful persona but also by the intense orange colour of the egg yolks.  It looks unnatural.  Are all British eggs like that?

At least she's not suggestively licking her fingers now, like she used to.  It was very obvious.

Update:  am I being too harsh on Nigella?  It'll probably turn out that she spends half her life running some decent charity, or something.  I have always thought her salacious style, which always seemed aimed towards titillating older men, was amusingly transparent.   But now that she's toned that down,  I just find myself more annoyed by the too intense cheerfulness, and the attempts at "I'm just like you, really" stuff (like looking into her messy cupboard) coming across as a bit fake.   It's not that I like really cranky cooks - I can't watch Gordon Ramsay, for example - but this British cooking show thing where it always ends with friends over eating the food and not getting into arguments over anything I find bothersome.

3 comments:

TimT said...

Egg colour - shell and yolk - really varies greatly depending on type of chicken and health. Generally though orange yolks are a good sign!

GMB said...

Orange eggs may be a good sign if they are orange thanks to excellence in chook nutrition. But I've heard that they get this way also through feeding the birds cheap orange die. In our own country the gold standard for chooks is that they be pastured, and looked after by a Maremma sheep dog. That means they are out in the sun, moving all the time, and not living in their own shit.

They should eat some green stuff every day but if their diet is mostly vegetarian the yolks will tend to the yellow. So we want them eating a lot of animal meat. Larvae, worms, meat scraps, milk curdled with apple cider vinegar and this sort of thing. But some green stuff each day also for the synthesis of vitamin K2.

Not Trampis said...

Like you I am not a fan of Nigella.

Not sure why but her cooking show does not rate.