Friday, May 01, 2020

I have my doubts

Just saw this on Twitter:

and while there are not many comments following it yet, I really have my doubts about the accuracy of that figure for renting in Tokyo.

Why?  Because I like to watch the ever cheerful Paolo from Tokyo on Youtube (and his other channel Tokyo Zebra) , and he talked a lot about renting (or buying) an apartment in Tokyo recently, and I am pretty sure it was no where near as cheap as this guy claims.   (There are a lot of extra costs that you don't get in Australia, as well.) 

I don't have time to watch and check now, but I'm pretty I am right about this...

Update:  yeah, I just checked on this video, where he and his wife are looking for a new 2 bedroom rental, and the cost seems to be around $2700 - $2900USD a month.  This site indicates you can do much cheaper, but I still suspect that as an average, $1000 a month is just not right, at all.


2 comments:

John said...

It does seem very cheap but that is by Australian standards Steve and we have very high housing costs. What might be happening in Japan is the demographic issues have reduced pressures on housing costs and subsequently rentals; whereas the opposite demographic trend has been happening in Australia.

GMB said...

This is the absolute you-beaut way to make for a high standard of living. First world wages with third world rent. If they haven't achieved this in Tokyo they should have. Every society can choose a standard of living of this sort, if they have the will power to do so. Always I see its banker-thought that gets in the way. Its always no-banker-left-behind policies that keep us from the good life.