Monday, June 22, 2020

Unmasked

I was in the Queen Street Mall in Brisbane on Saturday, and it was a cool, showery day.  I thought, seeing I had some left in the car, I would wear a mask, given that I usually associate such weather with catching a cold.   I also wasn't sure how crowded it would be.

Turned out it was pretty busy, and that nearly no one was wearing a mask.  I was paying close attention once I realised I seemed to be alone, and I spotted exactly two people wearing them - both Asian.   There are always plenty of young Asian people in the city, and even most of them were not wearing them.

It's true, with days going by with no new cases in Queensland, let alone Brisbane, there should be little to fear.   But I still would feel more comfortable if wearing them was treated as standard for a few months yet.  

By the way, I presume that we ought to be seeing very little transmission of ordinary colds and flu this winter season due to the hygiene care that shops and other places are still taking.  Is anyone trying to keep of that through our GPs, I wonder?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The low grade influenza outbreak in SE Qld that had been going since November 2018 disappeared about 2 months ago. Ordinary colds are very rare but a few have returned with children back at school. We are sending the few viral illnesses we see for covid testing but no-one has it. The allergies are terrible at the moment though so if you have a runny nose it is most likely that.

cheers

Geoff

Steve said...

Thanks Geoff - good to know.