Tuesday, June 16, 2020

When Lefties turn on their own

Well, as things go, this is all storm in a teacup, but I'll explain why I'm posting it.

Back in 2014 I wrote a mildly worded post about the surprising fact that, although a lot of people (including me) assumed Josh Thomas had picked up an accent from somewhere in England, he is from Brisbane.  I think it fair to say he sounds nothing like someone raised in the western suburbs of my fair city (although I noted at the end of the post that I have had some odd comments about my own way of speaking too, years ago), and this has been the source of much puzzled speculation. 

For some completely inexplicable reason, over the last few years when I look at Google stats on Blogger, this post is nearly always one of the top "most viewed" posts on the entire blog.  (The other one is called "Lucky Snakes".)  It would seem some mystery of the Google search algorithms as to why this happens.   Maybe there are lots of comedians that people around the world think are using affected accents?   But it seems a very odd topic to keep getting, I dunno, a hundred odd hits a day for.

Anyway, with Josh having been noted as making some (at least) insensitive comments on diversity in TV writing and casting back in 2016, I see that this has given people of the Left (as I assume most people who call out "racist!" on Twitter) permission to come out and say "And by the way, his ambiguous accent really annoys me".  For example:

If you want to see some much more critical commentary on him, search Twitter for his name, or "Josh Thomas accent".

For what it's worth, I think the "racist!" attack on him is way overblown, and I say that as someone who doesn't find him funny and didn't like his show that Lefties generally swooned over.

But the mystery of his accent, and how Google directs people to my post about it, remains.


  

1 comment:

Not Trampis said...

Josh who?