Thursday, August 05, 2021

Giving in

I strongly suspect that Jason Soon, and perhaps some other readers, may have thought I was being part of the problem, so to speak, by saying last week that I was resisting getting AstraZeneca.  I did say that I felt I could justify it by the fact that COVID was not spreading in Brisbane in any substantial way.

Well, as we know, that has changed, even though the numbers remain very, very modest by international standards.   But the outbreak has largely been on the side of town where I live, and when shopping centres I sometimes visit are the places where positive cases have been, it does feel it is creeping worryingly close to my door.  (Not only that, I do know of people who have had colds or virus - and indeed I thought I was getting one one a couple of weeks ago, but I became pretty sure it was just a bout of wattle related hayfever - but being around anyone with an illness that might be COVID is a worry.)

Not only that,  hearing of young, apparently healthy people dying abruptly of the virus helps put the risk in perspective.  (Also, Peter Doherty on Radio National this morning explaining what a bugger of a virus COVID 19 really is, and how it can get in every organ and cause damage we're really still learning about, has made me reconsider.)

So, later today I am off to get my first AZ jab.

Look, if I die from it, I would like it to be used in election material that I personally blame Scott Morrison for not having alternative vaccines available.  :)   

Update:   done.  Booked it in this morning, had to drive a couple of suburbs over.  Good explanations of risk and benefit given.  Given I have just read that a few people in their 60's died of it in NSW yesterday, its seems the right move.

9 comments:

Not Trampis said...

I have had my two jabs since I am 1B and had no side effects.

Steve said...

1B?

Not Trampis said...

whatever the second one is called. you get it earlier than ordinary people

Jason Soon said...

I get my second AZ jab in first week of Sept. I tried booking for Pfizer and they were out then so I lost patience and went to my GP for AZ. I got offered and took the first jab the moment I signed the consent form. so there is virtually no shortage to speak of if people weren't vaccine shopping.

however I did put myself on the waiting list for Pfizer and finally got a text yesterday saying supplies were in and I could book for that too if I want.

not sure if I can be bothered getting double vaxxed though.

Steve I am under 50 and aside from chills in the night after I had my first AZ jab I went cycling for 2 hours the next morning

TimT said...

Excellent! I had my second Pfizer on Friday.

Steve said...

Clearly, everyone who reads this blog is very sensible. :)

Steve said...

By the way, Jason, am I right to think you might be reacting to Adam Creighton's Twitter comments on COVID the same as me: with a strong desire to see someone throttling him on a street?

GMB said...

"I get my second AZ jab in first week of Sept. "

Why? You are from the prestigious Hakka-Han sub-group. The human race needs your continuation in the gene pool. Is this what happens when I'm not around for a decade?

GMB said...

Jason you only have one boy don't you? Do you have a teenager? Or no kids? We really needed you to have three or four little fellows for gene pool health. You better start remedial action right away.