Monday, October 24, 2022

On new religions

I knew about Manichaeism a little from remembering that St Augustine has attacked it a lot (I had sort of forgotten he was a former follower), but this great explanation from Religion for Breakfast enlightened me as to how eccentric some of its beliefs were.  (It's the talking vegetables that really threw me!)

 

But beyond the whole vegetable issue, which seems almost to be a way a priest class could get food delivered to them for free, the religion seems to have had no great problematic elements, and represented a real effort towards a syncretic amalgamation of two or three of the then current great religions.  (Christianity was still finding its way at the time, though.)

The thing is, I feel broadly sympathetic towards syncretic religions, while at the same time somewhat  bemused by how someone goes about inventing a new religious explanation of the universe without feeling any hesitation about how they are, well, just making stuff up.   

I mean, one can be cynical and say that the creators of new religions are usually just self interested con men (*cough* L Ron Hubbard, and - probably - Joseph Smith), but it feels harder to see other creators of big religions as being as self interested as them.   I suppose dreaming up stories under the influence of hallucinogens, or actual mental illness, is one way of explaining it.  Or - possibly - followers who take something more seriously than the originator? 

In my lifetime, if you accept that Scientology is not exactly taking over the world, there seems to be a distinct lack of successful innovation in syncretic new religions.   Perhaps George Lucas had a chance here, with the Force, but as I have said before, he really blew the potential by being thoroughly inconsistent in the approach to it in his invented universe.   No doubt, he would say he doesn't see it as desirable to be the inadvertent creator of a new religion, and I get that.   But I still think it's a bit of a pity, the way the world's old religions are going... 

3 comments:

John said...

Don't worry Steve, it will take many generations for the old religions to fade away. Scientology is just about done, too many scandals and the Hollywood set have abandoned it. Nonetheless it will remain a presence well into this century.

Maybe people just need to get used to the idea of death. I've argued that the idea of humans being immortal is weird because nothing in the universe, and perhaps even the universe itself, lasts forever. To argue we are immortal places us above all creation. There is a very small chance that may be true. I have problems with placing humans in an evolutionary context because we do so many things that deny evolutionary imperatives like staying alive and breeding. We don't know of any other species that commits suicide, a leading killer in humans, or voluntarily chooses celibacy and\or a life of isolation.

Steve said...

John, I think I have said before, but I have always figured that the experience of any type of immortality is not likely to be equivalent of an earthly life that just continues forever. It would (possibly!) be more like being outside of time, not just being in endless time; and in the same way that we can't envisage another spatial dimension that the universe is expanding into, we can't psychologically envisage being outside of time.

I also like the idea that immortality may involve an individual identity mergeing in or out of the larger universal consciousness, as need or desire requires. I don't know that a dissolution of personality need be once and for all, as it was at the end of The Good Life (which I posted about.)

John said...

I also like the idea that immortality may involve an individual identity mergeing in or out of the larger universal consciousness

Alan Watts provides a beautiful metaphor. Individual consciousness is like the droplets of water that rise into the air as the ocean waves crash against the rocks. For a short time the droplets have their own existence but will return to the ocean of consciousness.

Steve I can't make up my mind about these issues. Even some reincarnation stories are so striking it gives me serious pause for thought.

https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/wp-content/uploads/sites/360/2017/04/REI42-Tucker-James-LeiningerPIIS1550830716000331.pdf