Monday, November 21, 2022

Barry - dark gets darker?

My son wanted to watch the well reviewed dark comedy Barry, and we finished the first season last night.

It's mostly enjoyable, for black comedy of the type I am usually pretty leery about.  But I am a bit puzzled about how the last two episodes pretty much ruin the ability to sympathise with the title character.   I mean, while he is shooting up other criminals, there's not too much to have qualms about.   But by the end, the innocent are being killed, after his earlier reluctance to do so.   To be honest, this doesn't give me much incentive to continue with series 2 and 3, and I note that comments on line indicate that series three is ever darker.  :(

I haven't noticed anyone on line saying it, but thematically it has an obvious antecedent in Grosse Point Blanke, the 1997 John Cusack movie that I actually remember little about, except it being about a hit man not enjoying his job anymore, and one particularly unpleasant line of dialogue that stuck in my mind for being too extreme.

My problem with the end of the first series also relates a little to the depiction of violence - for a show with a high body count, it was formerly somewhat discrete in the depiction of gunshot wounds, but that goes out the door in the last episode too.  

It's clearer than ever to me, too, that the key to the entertainment value in this type of story is the compounding trouble that the characters get themselves into, and the audience wondering how they might get out of it.  Pulp Fiction, Breaking Bad (which I will never bother with - but I have a good idea of the plot), Goodfellas:  they are all about how things are falling apart for characters and what they are prepared to do to try to get out of trouble.   But, I will continue to be a conservative-ish stick in the mud and say that, despite the entertainment value of the plotting, I still don't think it is good for anyone's soul to spend too long living in these violent fictional worlds.   I wish there were less of them made - or perhaps, that they were more old fashioned in terms of morality stories.



No comments: