Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Tries a bit too hard

Hmmm:


Once again, I will opine that I want to like this program more than I do.

The hosts are both likeable and their scripted bits are fine:  what I find problematic is how too many of the guest comedians find too many of their own scripted bits hilarious.  (Wil Anderson often laughs too much at them too.)

It's a program that just seems to be trying too hard - or is too amused with itself - for too much of the time.  

Update:  This, on the other hand, is genuinely funny:



2 comments:

TimT said...

A good talent in a comedian is having a seemingly genuine laugh. See also that old adage about acting: "The main thing is honesty. If you can fake that, you've got it made."

Sometimes I wonder if Will Anderson has even been trying since the early days of The Glass House (which was, itself, come to think of it, an imitation Good News Week.)

Steve said...

Oh, you seem to not like him much? I think he is really good as host of Gruen Transfer - where he delivers often clever lines both scripted and unscripted and doesn't spend time laughing much at them. As I say, his scripted bits on Question Everything are OK too; what I don't like is how much he laughs at some of the guests "bits". The laughter from the audience is often too loud on that show too.

He was interviewed on that Fran Kelly show recently (I think it was there?) and again, I thought he seemed likeable and intelligent. But as with virtually all comedians, I have watched a bit of him in stand up specials and don't care for it at all, so it's not as if I would ever go see his act. But you know how off-putting I find modern stand up.

Same with Judith Lucy - I think she is amusing and smart and pretty great in so many things she has done - except her actual stand up, which I would like to like, but can't.