Monday, May 29, 2023

Seems to still be relevant

I finally watched the remake of All Quiet on the Western Front on Netflix on the weekend. 

I hadn't read any reviews, except I assumed that it must be OK to have had a Best Picture nomination.   

I would rate it pretty highly, with some reservations which I see were shared with some critics, mainly to do with it having too light a touch on character development.   The one we (eventually) get to feel closest to is not even the main character, and for the first 30 minutes, I wasn't even sure that the distant feeling given to characterisation was going to put me off the movie completely.  

But it does improve in that regard, and the obscene pointlessness of the war is well made by the end.   

It's depressing to think that, more than 100 years later, we can see watch aggression borne of militaristic nationalism causing pointless destruction in Ukraine:  


 


2 comments:

Not Trampis said...

you should watch the original. I watched it a long time ago.

Steve said...

I haven't seen it. No doubt, it's got about 10 times less gore than this version.