Friday, August 02, 2024

Be Perplexed

Nearly a year ago, I posted about how I was very impressed with the AI tool Perplexity - and since then I have seen it increasingly mentioned on line as what a lot of people use instead of, or combined with, Google for searching the internet now.

(There was an interesting thread on Twitter yesterday started by Noah Smith about how the internet has become a lot worse for finding certain information - he blamed it on people and institutions now not putting stuff up on simple web pages like they used to.   Many people agreed, complaining about how bad Google search has become, and how you sometimes find an answer faster by searching Youtube or Reddit.  But of the AI search tools that got mentioned most often, I think Perplexity was the top one.) 

I have used Perplexity at work a few times recently, and yes, the results were startlingly good and accurate.  I also used it on (what I thought) a rather obscure matter local to Brisbane and someone I know who lives here, and the detailed answer was, once again, just great. 

Once again, therefore, I recommend it to any reader.   I usually use just the "quick" search but there is a "pro" search available that I haven't tried.   There are limits on the number of pro searches you can make in a day, but you can subscribe (not so cheap - about $34 a month) to get a lot more Pro searches per day.  

I have told both of my university educated kids about it, and neither had heard of it.   Yeah, the ageing Dad felt boastful about knowing something new and valuable in the online world that they didn't.  

No comments: