Friday, September 11, 2026

AI dangers discussed

Of course, there's a heap of stuff being written about the latest concerns about the danger of AI, and AI agents.  But as I was driving last night, I happened to catch Fran Kelly's latest gig at Radio National, The Radio National Hour, and I found this 30 minute interview on the topic was very clear and very level headed.  

Unfortunately, there is no transcript, so you have to devote the time to listen, but it was good.

Personally, I tend towards the "stop thinking the Terminator movies were a documentary" side on this, and find some of the often mentioned scenarios very implausible.   However, I do tend to worry about the more mundane issues that could be massively destructive of our current way of life, without actually killing people.   For example, AI and AI agents going nuts in the financial system and making our whole online method of dealing with money and payments too insecure to use.   Or, possibly, destroying accurate records of wealth or ownership.   I mean, I imagine this kind of scenario to be more palatable to ideologically motivated humans to try to initiate, rather than the type of Bond villain it would take to want to unleash a AI designed and manufactured bioagent that will kill all humans and leave the world to the rest of the animal kingdom.

Anyway, as a final note, listening to Fran Kelly again reminds me of just how effortlessly competent she comes across as a broadcaster.  I mean, I know they have help in preparation for interviews, but a good broadcaster makes it sound so smooth and intelligent.

And when I am deeply impressed again by ABC content, it also brings back to mind the ideological stupidity of the likes of Sinclair Davidson and all of the ageing crew who probably still write at The Australian in wanting to get rid of the ABC.   As if the private sector does anything within a mile of the quality current affairs content of the ABC. 


2 comments:

John said...

What was that about Trump Delusional Syndrome?

https://indianexpress.com/article/world/us-news/donald-trump-9-11-rescue-claim-fact-check-10869346/?utm_source=copilot.com

Not Trampis said...

Sky after dark falls for a comedian's obvious satire. yes we need the ABC