Monday, August 17, 2026

Good News (a movie)

I finally got around to watching the recent Korean movie Good News, which is probably the only (mainly) comedic film ever made about an aircraft hijacking, on Netflix last weekend.   

The movie is "based on real events", but I think nearly all of the characters involved are invented or fictionalised.  Still, I am surprised to read now how most of the key events were fairly close to what happened in 1970.  (As a newspaper reading 10 year at that time I suspect I would have seen a headline about the real life hijacking, but I do not recall it.)     

The movie is very watchable, but it has flaws.  The characters were perhaps written with too much eccentricity (for the most part), and the main hero was a little hard to understand.   But, I didn't get bored, it is well crafted, and there are worse ways to spend a couple of hours...      

No comments: