Monday, September 28, 2026

Questionable quality of the Generals left

I meant to mention this last week - a US Air Force General at "Space Force" wrote an article at the Washington Post completely defending Trump's half baked "Golden Dome" idea of missile defence - even going so far as poo-pooing some high cost estimate, as if the military and its innovative technology builds are famously capable of being done on budget:

Some have pointed to estimates approaching $1.2 trillion and higher for a future missile defense design. These sensational projections envision a hypothetical system using legacy technology and outdated cost models. They are fundamentally flawed. They assume that we are building a static architecture designed to intercept every hypothetical threat simultaneously. Instead, we are building a dynamic shield optimized for the threats that pose the greatest risk to our nation.  

From its inception, Golden Dome was designed to break away from the legacy acquisition practices that far too often produced programs that were over budget, behind schedule and obsolete before being fielded. Congress has long challenged the Department of War to move faster, compete harder and innovate differently. That is exactly what we are doing.

Golden Dome employs an open design that allows technologies to be upgraded as threats evolve. We are employing commercial innovation, reusable launch capabilities, automation, artificial intelligence, rapid software development and continuous competition to deliver capability in months and years instead of decades. In line with the National Defense Strategy’s direction to supercharge the U.S. defense industrial base, Golden Dome will harness the ingenuity of established defense companies alongside nontraditional firms and emerging innovators nationwide.

 Sounds like it's going to be pretty full of grift, if it's priority is to "just get it done."

The problem with the US military now is that those who remain and support Trump, a President who has overseen what should be prosecuted as war crimes, show that they are unreliable and dangerous by the very fact that they remain.   Well, OK - I suppose I have to allow for some not resigning because they fear what the remaining will do without any internal questioning (and also, I guess, you can't just have the whole military resign without it causing some pretty major global instability) - but really, I think the first job of a new Democrat administration is going to be to look hard at those who stayed and served under Trump.   

People in comments following the article probably agree:

In my 30 years of service in the US military I don't believe I recall an active duty general so transparently engaging in partisan politics. Disgraceful. Leave your public opinions for Congressional testimony and brush up on your professionalism and duty to your country. 

 

2 comments:

Not Trampis said...

I didn't know Canada or Mexico had attacked the USa with rockets or even missiles

John said...

Not to worry, those left are sheep and will fall in behind the next administration.