Wednesday, October 07, 2026

Goodbye Eva

The Guardian headline notes her most memorable role, and one of my all time favourite movies:

Eva Marie Saint, star of North by Northwest and On the Waterfront, dies aged 102 

Unusually for a Hollywood star, the obituary notes she married once and stayed with her husband until he died in 2016.  She had an exceptionally long career, and from a stage appearance I saw of her on Youtube, I gather that she was genuinely liked inside the industry.    

2 comments:

Not Trampis said...

North by Northwest is one of the greatest movies ever made

Steve said...

It is great. I am reminded of it whenever I travel and take with me a plastic handled shaving brush that I acquired in 1984 (when the defence force used to give one to new entrants! I suspect that is no longer part of the kit.) I have used it intermittently over the years, mainly for travel, because the plastic handle dries easily, unlike a wooden handled one I use at home. But the length of the brush hair has shortened over the years, and even though if it is still useable, it always reminds me of the tiny shaving brush Grant uses to lather up in one scene. (Unfortunately, the face I am using my brush on does share the same classically handsome appeal as the one in the movie.)